Doomed Indian Love Story Had Happy End for the Daughter

David Brown

It was the anguished plea of a desperate wife and mother as Eliza  Forbes wrote: “Our beloved Kitty and Alexander thank God they are in good health and often hope to see their beloved father.”
The letter was addressed to Theodore Forbes, a wealthy Scottish  merchant who had made his fortune in India in the early 19th century.
Eliza’s appeal was the culmination of their romantic yet tumultuous  love story, which was ultimately doomed by the social attitudes to  race and marriage in colonial India. Their descendant is now second in line to the British throne.
Theodore arrived in India in 1809 as an employee of the East India Company looking for adventure and fortune. The 21-year-old merchant  was posted to the port city of Surat in western India, where he met Eliza Kewark through her brother-in-law, Aratoon Baldassier, who was acting as his agent.
Theodore described Eliza several times as a “girl”, suggesting that she may have been several years his junior. Eliza’s father was Jacob Kevork, or Hakob Kevorkian, a very Armenian name, but there is no record of her mother. However, DNA test results show that she was Indian.
There had been a thriving Armenian trading community in Surat since the 17th century and there was some inter-marriage with the local population.
When Theodore met Eliza it was common for British men to begin relationships with Indian women and to have children, even if theyalready had a family back in Britain.
Susan Harvard, who has been researching Eliza and Theodore’s relationship for almost 30 years, believes that the couple were married in the Armenian church in Surat in early 1812, shortly before
he was posted to Mocha in current-day Yemen. However, it may not have been legally recognised. In his notebook, Theodore refers to Eliza as “the very pattern of what a wife ought to be” and in his letters addresses her as “My Dear Betsy”.
Their daughter Katherine (Kitty) Scott Forbes was born in Mocha in December 1812 and their son, Alexander, two years later. Eliza returned to Surat in 1815 and a second son, Fraser, was born in March 1817 but died aged six months.
Theodore had been offered a partnership in Forbes & Co, a trading company based in Bombay, where the senior partner was Sir Charles Forbes, a distant relative. But there had been a significant change in colonial society. An influx of British women to India had led to a change in social attitudes, with relationships with local women now considered inappropriate for the merchant class. While Theodore worked in Bombay his wife, Kitty and Alexander were left in Surat.
In a series of pitiful letters Eliza begged to be allowed to join her husband. In October 1817 she wrote of her hope that “Our Almighty may do so the lucky day as connect our eyes to eyes. Our children as they hope be make them love at your present will. I entreat you my dear sir you may call from hence as soon as possible. Then will be happy and save my life.”
The letters, which appear to have been written by a scribe in Surat, were signed Mrs Forbes followed by her title written in Armenian, presumably by herself. But in earlier letters she and Kitty both wrote
in Hindi, suggesting a mixed heritage.
The following February she appealed for money for the family, describing Theodore’s “prosperous face with your merciful eyes” and how she prayed for “lucky day as we can meet to each another”. In a postscript she added: “Kitty and Alexander often ask after you their beloved Papa and I let you know they are in good health.” A week later she wrote again, seeking a reply to her letter.
In June 1818 , Theodore’s friend Thomas Fraser wrote to him after visiting the family in Surat. “Kitty retains her good looks but the sooner you give the order about her departure to England the better as
her complexion will soil in this detestable climate.”
So Theodore decided that his daughter, then 6, should be sent to his family home at Boyndlie, Aberdeenshire, where there would be less sun. Eliza reluctantly accepted this plan but insisted that her faithful servant, Fazagool, accompany her daughter to Scotland. In another letter, she pleaded again to be allowed to rejoin her husband, writing: “My good sir, I pray you let me know by your leave I will bring my child to give in your hand by myself and after Kitty is dispatched to Europe then stay in Bombay or stay in Surat.”
It is Eliza’s final surviving letter to Theodore, so it is possible that the couple were reunited in Bombay. Kitty left for Scotland in August 1819 and Theodore decided to return to Britain the following year, but died aboard the Blenden Hall in September 1820.
In his will, written aboard the ship, he refers to Eliza as his “housekeeper” and leaves her a monthly allowance of just 100 Bombay rupees a month, less than half the sum she had been receiving.
Theodore left Kitty, his “reputed natural daughter by Eliza Kewark,” 50,000 Bombay rupees. His “reputed son” Alexander received 20,000 rupees and his father stated that he should remain in India.
Life for Kitty at Boyndile would have been very different from her home in Surat. Mrs Harvard said: “I don’t think her grandparents would have encouraged her to talk about her past because it could have given the impression that she was illegitimate and ‘coloured’.”
Mary Roach, the maternal aunt of Diana, Princess of Wales, agrees: “My mother appeared to have no knowledge of [Kitty's Indian mother], so perhaps it was hidden.”
Kitty later married James Crombie, a member of the family that manufactured the coats, and was a respected member of Scottish society.
Eliza was last heard of in 1834 when she wrote to Sir Charles Forbes complaining that the annuity left by her “beloved master” had been halved. Sir Charles forwarded her letter to her children but there is no record of a reply.
In a footnote to history, the current Earl Spencer, the brother of the late Diana, Princess of Wales, has named two of his daughters Eliza and Kitty.
"The Times," June 14, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment